Tuesday, April 10, 2012

How did you get that job?


The number one question that people ask me when they hear about this opportunity is "how did you get that job?" Well it's really not that difficult. International events such as the Commonwealth Games, Pan Am Games, Asian Games, and Olympics have websites that provide information about the Games, job opportunities, volunteer opportunities, etc. The link for the London Olympics is www.london2012.com/jobs. I started applying for jobs with LOCOG over a year ago hoping that the right opportunity would present itself. The LOCOG site enables applicants to track the process of your application by advising when the application has been submitted and/or rejected. When I noticed that the status for one particular application remained "submitted," I began to anticipate a call from them. Finally, I received a call from an HR assistant requesting a time to set up an interview. The interview was conducted over the phone with two HR staff members and lasted approximately 20 minutes. Most of the discussion focussed on motivating volunteers, workforce planning, database management and general HR questions. Approximately two weeks later, I received an email asking me to suggest a time when they could speak to me about the interview. I expected a second interview but the decision was made after one interview. Based on reference checks and visa availability, I was offered a position from April 23rd to September 9th.

Work Visa: While the requirements for work visas change from country to country, I was able to get an ancestry visa because my grandfather was born in Ireland. If you have a parent or grandparent born in the United Kingdom, you qualify for an ancestry visa. The site I used to apply for the visa was: http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ApplyNow.aspx. The application was completed online and submitted to Worldbridge Services for processing. I had previously sent for my grandfather's birth certificate in Ireland as I knew I would be required to provide this if I was applying for the ancestry visa. The documents I sent with my application consisted of my grandfather's birth certificate, my grandparents' marriage certificate, my father's marriage certificate, my parents' marriage certificate, my birth certificate and two passport photos! Whew! After you complete the online application, you have to set up an appointment in Toronto to have fingerprints and an eye scan completed. The office is located at the Eaton's Centre in Toronto and the appointment was very brief (maybe 10 minutes.) From there, your documents are sent to New York. My application was submitted on a Thursday and by Tuesday I received an email indicating that my visa had been approved. Technology has certainly opened up our world to international employment opportunities! 

No comments:

Post a Comment